Pages

Friday, March 12, 2010

How to fish for a Bluefin Tuna

I got bored today of looking up more facts about why the Bluefin Tuna is becoming extinct. Today, for my last post, I wanted to look up something different that I hadn't thought of previously this term. So off I went to google and I typed in the generic Bluefin Tuna in the search bar. Pretty soon the pull down tab was running amuck with ideas for me to look into regarding the tuna. Bluefin Tuna endangered, Bluefin Tuna sushi, Bluefin Tuna prices all were there for me to click on. Then I saw it, Bluefin Tuna fishing. "This looks interesting". I clicked on the link and google magically supplied me with various pages to peruse.
One of the more interesting ones that I stumbled upon spoke of the various techniques on how to catch the Bluefin Tuna. This site detailed how thrilling it could be to master the art of catching a Bluefin. The chase would be exhausting but catching the tuna would be worth it. After reading through all that this the page had to say on catching it (and from what I read, the actually art of catching the tuna requires strength and patience as the tuna is strong, fast and smart) I saw a small paragraph that detailed specifics on the Tuna. This random fishing site actually had information on it that said:
"There is increasing controversy surrounding the bluefin tuna, however. These fish were once almost relegated to the endangered list, and they are strictly regulated by the National Marine Fisheries Service. You must have a permit that specifically allows you to fish for bluefin, and you are not allowed to sell the fish that you keep unless you have a commercial fishing license. There are specific limits on catches, so be sure and inform yourself of any and all regulations."
This amazed me. Here I am, thinking that this site was all about the catching and killing of the fish, but no there us true information here that spells out to the fisherman what the need to do in order to preserve this creature from extinction. Granted it doesn't specify just how close to extinction the Bluefin truly is or that maybe the fisherman should double think going out on the water to catch them, but saying that the fish is almost endangered and that there are regulations denying people from selling the fish, well that was music to my ears.
All in all, this is a small step that again we see someone as "low down" on the food chain as a fisherman is taking. Perhaps by allowing more and more fisherman to understand the Bluefin's eventual path into extinction, we can save them one day.

Citing:
McGee, Scott. "Tuna fishing techniques: catching bluefin tuna." (2002): n. pag. Web. 12 Mar 2010. .

No comments:

Post a Comment