By, Alisha Baker
It doesn’t stop with green cleaners…
No, it’s not all about using green cleaning products to help our environment there are actually really fun and interesting ways you can green proof your home. Everything from the cooking supplies you use to the activities you spend your extra time doing… the green possibilities are endless.
Here is a list of ideas provided by the Environmental Working Group on how to make your home and a whole “greener”
1. Use cast iron pans instead of nonstick. Read about Teflon health concerns.
2. To avoid chemicals leaching into food, go easy on processed, canned or fast foods and never microwave plastic. Read about Bisphenol A, a toxic food-can lining ingredient associated with birth defects.
3. Buy organic, or eat vegetables and fruit from the "Clean 15" list. Find out more about the "Dirty Dozen."
4. Pregnant women should use iodized salt to combat chemical interference from the thyroid. Read about rocket fuel's effect on the thyroid.
5. Seal outdoor wooden structures. Order a test kit to find out if your wooden deck, picnic table, or playset is leaching arsenic.
6 .Leave your shoes at the door. This cuts down on dust-bound pollutants in the home.
7.Avoid perfume, cologne and products with added fragrance. Search for personal care products that are fragrance-free, or check the products you're already using.
8.Buy products with natural fibers, like cotton and wool, that are naturally fire resistant. Use our list of products and manufacturers to avoid the chemical flame retardant PBDE.
9.Eat low-mercury fish like tilapia & pollock, rather than high-mercury choices like tuna & swordfish. Check our Safe Fish List to see which fish to avoid and what's safe to eat.
10.Filter your water for drinking and cooking. How does your tap water stack up? Search our tap water database to see what you're drinking.
11.Learn your personal body burden. Take a step-by-step tour of your home to learn the toxic truth about how household products contribute to your body burden of industrial chemicals.
And it just keeps getting better…
That list contains information we should all know, who would have thought that our homes have the power to be so green. These tips along with the green cleaner tips through out our website and blog contain helpful tips and hints on ways to clean greener and live a greener lifestyle. These helpful tools only benefit you so check them out and enjoy our site and blogs!
Here are some more fun articles and tips on how to live a greener lifestyle