Pages

Friday, December 7, 2012

Wasting Food


By: Patrick Prince

How to be come a source and not the problem for not wasting food. Anything you can do helps.

Everyone loves food, everyone needs food and to think, people that go without on a regular basis.  Is there a system in place? Dose that system work?

Facts about food waist

-There are nearly one billion malnourished people in the world, but the approximately 40 million tons of food wasted by US households, retailers and food services each year would be enough to satisfy the hunger of every one of them. Defended by Waist Management and

-An estimated 20 to 40% of US fruit and vegetables are rejected even before they reach the shops - mostly because they do not match the supermarkets' excessively strict cosmetic standards.

-All the world's nearly one billion hungry people could be lifted out of malnourishment on less than a quarter of the food that is wasted in the US, UK and Europe.

-4 million people in the UK, 43 million in the EU and around 35 million in the US suffer from food poverty.

-US shops and restaurants serve up 3,900 kcal per person per day, twice the daily-recommended daily allowance.

-150 million tunes of grain are lost post-harvest in developing countries, enough to feed all their hungry people six times over.

-Globally, 33% of food is lost to consumer waste, processing waste, and post-harvest losses. If we could avoid this loss, we could feed an additional 3 billion people.


How can you help?

1)    Monitor what you family throw away each week and things that you can cut back on.
2)     Call your local food bank for volunteer positions or how to donate

3)     Use your local church because each church has meals on wheels program. That could feed

4)    Call your local schools and see if you can donate, because in Oregon alone one in every three kids is ether homeless or hungry.

Example:

I used to be a person before I got into this class that wanted to help and felt that I wasted 1000-2000 dollars a week. Why? Is because I am an independent contractor for Sara lee. The bread we take out of the store usually goes in the garbage. I was subject to this because I used to dump my stales each day into the trash. My solution to this problem was I called a local church and two local farms for them to come and pick up my stale that I had for that day. It’s been over a year and I have feed 6000 people with my donations because I want to keep a tally and see how many people I can affect.  We can all help hunger if we just take the time to ask a question and show effort. I know I would never want to be hungry.

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment