Who doesn’t like DIYing with upcycled materials? Building something beautiful, with your own hands, and saving the environment at the same time? Everyone has seen the “DIY wood pallet projects” online and they look amazing. However, a lot of people are unaware of the dangers that lurk in wood pallets.
Think about what sits on a pallet for a second. Anything from fertilizer to chemicals, things you wouldn’t necessarily like to bring into your home. Here are some tips to help you choose the right pallet:
- Don’t get your pallet from a gardening or hardware store
- A place that carries a lot of dried goods is usually the place to go (think of rice/bulk dry items)
- Have a whole-foods or “natural” store in your area? Great place to get “untainted” pallets
- Always check your pallets for bugs (termites!) and mold/stains. If you see anything strange on your pallet, drop it and run!
- If you can find a pallet from Canada—they seem to be the safest out there (they have a stamp that has the letters CA-0000 HT)
So now that you know about possible exposure, get outside and do some awesome DIY pallet projects!
Check out these pretty projects! (http://www.snappypixels.com/
(photo source: http://www.cape27blog.com/ )
sustainable-product-design/ how-to-tell-if-your-pallet-is- safe-to-reuse-pallet-safety- info.html