In world today climate change is often an overwhelming topic of conversation. There is just so much to be done and so many problems and issues that you may not even feel like even thinking about solutions to fighting climate change. Luckily there are some easy, simple, everyday activities that everyone can do to fight this important fight. Even though this steps may not feel like much just remember that if everyone does a little, that can add up to a lot.
10 ideas on actions to take:
1) Get a free energy audit. The company Cape Light Compact offers this free service to tell you whether your house is losing heat in certain areas of your home and how to fix these issues.
2) Be careful with your car A/C. Did you know that your gas consumption increases by 20 percent while your A/C is running? Save gas, money AND the environment by purely rolling down your car windows and enjoying the breeze.
3) Avoid speeding in your vehicle. The EPA estimates that you can improve your gas mileage by 15 percent by staying at 55 mph on the freeway, rather than the normal 65.
4) Get out and walk more. Instead of driving down to the corner market that is only a block away, take a nice walk! Not only is it good for you and you'll feel better, mother nature will feel a whole lot better too.
5) Turn off the water when you are brushing your teeth. This may be a tiny water savings, but if millions of us all do it, it adds up to a great deal of water.
6) When you take a vacation during the summer, just turn the A/C off! The same principle goes for winter time with the heater. Rather, just close blinds and keep doors closed to regulate temperature properly.
7) Double check to make sure no pipes are leaking. Not only will you save money and the environment but the water pressure will work much better too!
8) Wash your clothes in cold water. Consumers Union and Coop America did a study which shows that clothes get the same amount of clean whether washed in cold, warm or hot water. You can reduce your carbon emissions 600 pounds a year by switching to cold water for every load.
9) Shorten your showers. This one may seem hard but just think about all the extra time you'll have in morning if you take shorter showers!
10) Set your refrigerator for 37-40 degrees and your freezer to 5 degrees.
Note that these are just a handful of simple actions to take to combat climate change. There are many, many more ideas out there.
For more ideas click on the links below
Simple Steps to Combating Climate Change:
By: Garrett Sanders