Oil is lurking behind many everyday products in our lives. To go green, means to be conscious of what you’re purchasing and adapting your beauty and fashion regimen to consist of products that do not contain oil or petroleum byproducts. What people don’t take into consideration is the actual number of products that do contain these things are abundant and a few of these items might be surprising to some. This post will help break down certain products that contain these things and list some alternatives that might be a bit better. This also brings up the question of necessity and whether or not these products are needed in order to live our daily lives.
- Stretchy Jeans
- Green Alternative: https://kuyichi.com/ - Kuyuchi Jeans
- “Kuyichi uses organic and recycled materials. Our collection is made of recycled denim, recycled PET, organic cotton, organic linen and Tencel.”
I would say this would be a better alternative even though there are recycled materials that may contain oil (only 2% elastane, 98% organic cotton), the company promotes a more sustainable practice in the creation of jeans.
- Yoga Pants
- Green Alternative: https://www.greenappleactive.com/ - Green Apple Active
- “Here at Green Apple Active, we believe in being eco-friendly, sustainable, vegan, and biodegradable by utilizing natural plant-based materials in our apparel.” Their clothes are made from bamboo and are biodegradable. I would say this company is a great alternative to normal yoga wear as their clothes are not made from petroleum by-products or any synthetic fibers.
- Green Alternative: http://w3llpeople.com/ - W3ll People Makeup
- “Our mission is to create super premium quality cosmetics without using the potentially harmful artificial chemicals found in most conventional makeup. No fillers, propylene glycol, petrochemicals or petroleum by-products.”
There are actually quite a few makeup brands that do not contain oil but I chose this brand because they have both powder and cream makeup. This is good alternative to foundations that do contain mineral oil.
- Nail Polish
- Green Alternative: https://shoplvx.com/ - LVX Nail Polish
- “We are the innovators of beauty and the revolutionizers of color trends. LVX is the only luxury, high-fashion, 7 toxin-free premium nail lacquer.”
This polish formula is free of formaldehyde, toluene, DBP, formaldehyde resin, camphor, xylene, and parabens. There are other nail polish brands following suit and making their formulas more sustainable and better for the nail bed.
Hopefully this post was informative and being that there are so many products where oil is an ingredient, it’s important to do research and make better choices in what we put on our bodies.
Photo credit: Stack of Jeans (iStock.com)