Did you know...?
- China had natural gas wells drilled in the year 1013. The gas traveled through bamboo pipes, possibly for cooking, heating, and making porcelain.
- One of the major ingredients in the popular cosmetics brand Vaseline is petroleum jelly. This product is often used to moisturize the lips and remove eye makeup.
- On March 24, 1989, the Exxon Valdez supertanker hit Bligh Reef in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Over 11 million gallons of crude oil were spilled into the water, threatening wildlife, marine life, and the fishing industry.
- There were 265 world-scale giant oil fields in 1984.
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission requires any product that contains petroleum distillates in its
formula to be labeled with a warning that it “contains petroleum
- 2001, the United State's petroleum production averaged 11.0
barrels of oil per day per well.
- 1972 was the US's peak petroleum consumption, at19.7 million barrels per day.