Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Inform the People

By Michelle Dickey

I love sushi. I will be the first to admit that prior to this wake-up call, I had indulged in many a delectable tuna sushi meal. But did you know that that red tuna in front of you is an endangered species? Probably not. The reason? Well, for me it was the name. I had heard about the bluefin tuna quickly becoming an endangered species, but I hadn't heard anything about red tuna becoming extinct. Little did I know, and little did I inquire until now, but that red tuna that I was enjoying is one in the same with the bluefin tuna.
The bluefin tuna is rapidly depleting in numbers and becoming closer and closer to extinction simply because of overfishing. While solutions to this problem vary greatly from the absurd; stopping ALL fishing of tuna forever, to the not so absurd; fish farms and hatcheries, I believe that one of the very first steps that needs to be taken is to inform people that they are eating this endangered fish. There is no way an over-night change is remotely possible, but taking a step and increasing the knowledge of people about this unfortunate topic is a small step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment