Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Getting motivated! Or losing motivation?

By: Dan Flatten

When it comes to “Planned Obsolescence” the concept materializes in my head with great uncertainty. I start with imagining how many computers there are on Earth for example, then I think about how much waste material is produced from the manufacturing of each one of those desktop computers with monitor (1.8 metric tons!). This data that I try to unravel and understand in my brain suddenly begins to grow out of control and information overload sets in, leaving me dazed and unmotivated to do anything about it.

I tend to think that this is our biggest hurdle that we as a nation, and as a world, needs to overcome. It's very easy for people to analyze this data, and come to the quick assumption like “how can I make a difference with such large number's” or “we're already so far gone that there's no coming back from it.” In reality, every bit counts, and I've noticed it helps me to view these issues on a smaller scale. Although it's good to understand the big picture, it helps me to think about the difference I can make alone. It can be as easy as using the proper the channels for recycling your old appliances, or spending a little more on a product that will last longer. By doing this, it not only can make a positive impact on the environment, it can also makes a positive social change, starting what could be a chain reaction of healthy actions for the environment.

For more interesting, and shocking facts to help yourself get motivated, follow the link below.

http://www.technocycle.com/fact-sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment