Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Connected...

        So many of us, myself included, shrug off the effects of human activity on the world.  I mean, I am just one person so really how much damage can I be doing? 
Lets stop and think about this for a second...Imagine every person thought this and did not give a second thought to changing any behaviors or actions.
       In October 2011, the world's population reached 7 billion people.  Now,imagine all those people not caring about the world they live in.  Needless to say, the end result doesn't look so good. 
      Now, if you are like me, it is difficult to grasp the concept of global change.  Right?  I can read every article, watch every video, and listen to every lecture regarding global warming and how humans are causing more damage.  But, until I ACTUALLY see it, in real life, right in front of me, it's easy to dismiss.  Let me just say this...
     OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE.  GET A GRIP.  PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND YOU!!
If it was a snake, we all would be bitten! 
      If we take a step back to get a look at the entire picture, instead of squinting thru a pin hole, this is what we will find.  First of all everything is connected.  The plants, animals, humans, water, hurricanes, glaciers, seasons, tides.  You name it.  There is not one thing I just mentioned that will go untouched. We don't call it the ripple effect for nothing.  Here is the super simplified version...
I will try to make this as painless as possible.  Because most of the world burns fossil fuels, from heating their homes, driving cars, using electricity, production, and agriculture, which release carbon dioxide (heat trapping gas) into the atmosphere, these extra gases cause the earth to get warmer, setting off many changes on land,
oceans and in the atmosphere. These, in turn, affect people, plants and animals.




If you haven't noticed, there have been an increase in the number of hurricanes, heat waves, droughts, etc.



Pick up the newspaper, listen to the news...start to take an active role to protect the world we live in. 


Tabitha Fish




 

No comments:

Post a Comment