Pages

Monday, March 15, 2021

7 Ways You Can Help Houseless Citizens Without Spending Money

If you have ever wanted to help the community but struggled with attaining funds, you are not alone. In the modern age being on a budget can feel very limiting. One of the number ways we are encouraged to give back is to give cash, but if you're like me, a broke college student just trying to make rent, giving cash isn't always an option. So I have compiled a list of cost effective ways you can give back to the community. 1. Keep Your Cans! If you already have hefty supply of old beer or la croiux cans laying around, instead of recycling them, you can save them and set them on the curb for your houseless neighbors. This helps them get a little extra cash and reduces the change they'll be chastized by neighbors for rumaging through bins. 2. Use Your Voice! Chances are you probably have at least one social media account, so use it to share information on the houseless crisis. Money isn't the only thing that needs to be exhanged to make a difference, sharing vital information about houselessness aid can save lives. 3. Say Hello! Do you know your houseless neighbors? Often houseless individuals feel invisble. Interact with your neighbors, tell them hello and wish them a good day. Create positive social interactions. 4. Clean Out Your Closet! How often do you get socks for the holidays? Chances are you probably don't wear every pair in your closet. Socks are a vital item for houseless folks during the winter. You could also dig around and see if you have any jackets, hats, gloves, shoes, or old blankets. 5. Share Your Leftovers! When I go out to eat, I usually have leftovers, but I rarely eat them. That is why I have made a habit of gifting my leftover food to any houseless neighbor I see on my way home from eating out. 6. Clean Out Your Cupboard! I have a tendency to overstock on nonperishable foods. I see something canned go on sale and I buy some extra. It takes me a long time to go through it all, so occasionally I do a clean sweep. There are lots of organizations in Portland that will take both your perishable and nonperishable food items and give them to people experiecing food insecurity, such as PDX Free Fridge. 7. Don't Give Up! It is easy to experience burnout and feelings of defeat. But know that even if you are only making small efforts and changes, you are still making a difference in someone's life! If you would like more information on groups aiding houseless folks in the portland area please visit Housing Needs

No comments:

Post a Comment