Pages

Friday, December 11, 2009

What can you do today?

Let me be the first to say that before this ecopol project I fell right into the category of one of those who was completely oblivious to the condition of our earth's natural resources.  I didn't understand much more than it is a good thing to recycle and that was when I was feeling good.  But I have to say while working on this project I learned a lot about the importance of renewable energy and sustaining our earth's resources for my children one day. 

The big question for me was, where do I begin to break hold habits and start new ones?  And I knew it was unrealistic to do this all overnight.  So I begin doing some research because I knew that I couldn't be the only one who wanted to make some changes but needed a guide as to how and what would be the most effective.
I came across I very straightforward "How to take steps toward renewable energy" guide that provides some very simple and free ways to start your green path.  This particular guide found on www.treehugger.com gives the reader 10 steps to follow and there are two in particular that I have allowed to become habits for me over the course of this project.

The first thing I began to do is reduce the amount of electricity I use.  I had a very bad habit of leaving my television on during the day so my little toy Yorkie would have some company while I was at work.  Well, we had a talk one day and I explained to her that we must do our part to reduce our consumption and she agreed that during the day all televisions, lights and computers would be off. 

The second step that I took was to share. I took the advice of the treehugger professionals and begin carpooling a few times a week with a coworker, so now I share vehicles and transportation.  This reduces the energy I use and thus doing my part to get us toward a renewable energy future.  As time progresses I will continue to practice more sustainable habits and incorporate them into my lifestyle, but it takes making one step at a time.
Take a look at treehuggers website for other tips and guides to your greener future.

No comments:

Post a Comment