Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2020

Programs through Education Arts and Recreation

 

When I was very young, walking through New York City with my parents on my first visit to the city, I saw my first instance of a person without a home. I remember asking my parents why they were sleeping on the sidewalk. They explained to me that this person was not as fortunate as we were and did not have access to all the things a house or employment might offer. I don’t think I understood what this really meant until much later in my life. To me, homelessness was an absence of work and housing, two broad encompassing concepts that I didn’t care to explore. But as I grew older, and experienced homelessness for myself, I realized how many things are left unconsidered when growing up in a privileged life in a middle class family. The opportunities and experiences afforded to adolescents go unnoticed by those who get to enjoy them. For homeless youths, these luxuries are unavailable to them. However there are programs that are doing good work to rectify this situation. In Portland, p:ear is one such organization. 


From the p:ear website: p:ear has identified a strong model for working with homeless youth: assist them to recognize themselves as capable people while providing truly supportive relationships and opportunities for growth while they navigate the personal and difficult journey out of street life.


p:ear offers programs in education, arts, and recreation. Specifically I wanted to mention the arts programs they offer as a way to support and connect with the homeless youth population in Portland. They offer workshops and classes in both analog and digital methods, as well as providing gallery space for the public to view the youth’s work during Portland’s monthly Art Walk. This is an opportunity for children to reach out to the public and make their stories heard, as well as helping them develop their “ emotional, motor and cognitive skills” in a safe environment. Adolescents are also given a venue to sell their work as means of income. 


Here is a link for more information about the programs they offer. 

https://www.pearmentor.org/programs/


If you’re looking to help p:ear, you can find more information here:

https://www.pearmentor.org/help/






No comments:

Post a Comment