Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2020

LGBTQ Youth Homelessness is a Crisis

                    

         Did you know that a significant percentage of LGBTQ people in the United States face family rejection and homelessness because of homophobia and transphobia? According to a recent article in the Washington Post, that’s exactly the impossible struggle that tens of thousands of LGBTQ young people find themselves in every day. Rejected by their families and owed no support by the state because of their age, these vulnerable teens find themselves on the street, facing a daily struggle to find a place to sleep and food to eat.

                    For me, the struggle begins with awareness. Unless people know about the problem, they aren’t going to be likely to help fight it. In order to do my small part, I’ve shared a fiction series to illustrate the crisis of today’s homeless queer kids in my social network. I’m hoping to foster some empathy and distill some love. While stories that I've shared are fiction, everything it wrote is real. Yes, it may seem impossibly horrible and over the top, but everything I’ve shared has happened to people I know, and is still happeningeven now.

                    Please think hard about the issues I’m writing about. Think hard about how you can help. Thank you!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment