Pages

Friday, December 13, 2019

An adventure of a homeless Wisconsin dad


I have a beautiful stories about when I met first met a homeless person in the US.

In the Summer of 2018, I traveled to Boston and visit its China Town there. It was the first time I traveled alone in a totally new country, the USA. When I was playing Chinese Chess with some Chinese friends, there was a homeless man looked after me, then he smiled:
- Him: - Asking a Chinese - "Can I have a cigarette, please?"
- That Chinese guy (Wang): "I don't have any, I got this cigarette from that guy who is playing over there"
- Him: "oh okay"
Wang then looked at me and said: "Hey, can you give me this game, I want to play against him". I gave him the game to play with his Chinese friends. I got nothing to do, so I had a chat with the homeless man. It was a beautiful talk.
- The homeless man: "hey young man, it is a beautiful day, isn't it?"
- Me: "Yes it is"
I replied surprisingly. That man didn't ask for any money at all. Then, the chat continued.
I ask him: "Where are you from, sir?"
He replied: "I am from Wisconsin"
I asked: "So, why are you here? you are definitely very far away from home".
He then told me his story. He was in military. When he was in duty, his wife left him and took the custody of his newborn son. It was 25 years ago, and he believed that they are death now. However, 1 year ago, there was a call for him that his wife and his son are still alive, and they live somewhere in Boston. He was so poor and old. However, he still tried to ask for a ride to Boston on the road. A kind woman took him by her car, but suddenly her car was broken on the road. That man had to walk on the road, trying to find a way to Boston.
I asked him: "How could you survive all along the way?"
He replied me: "Oh, I just walk and ask people the direction."
I asked again: "Do people help you?"
Him: "Oh yes, people helped me a lot. They even took me to a shelter. But I felt so uncomfortable there, so I left"
Me: "How do you earn money to survive when you don't ask people for money?"
Him: "Well, I don't want to beg for money. It's not good. I believe that I have the ability to earn money by myself."
Me looking at him with curious eyes: "How?"
Him: "I sing. I can sing, and people pay me money."
Then, he sang a song. His voice was so beautiful. Next, he said that why people are always complaining about life. Life is so beautiful. It depends on how we see it with our eyes, and our attitude. This man taught me about life, and I really appreciated him. Then I said:
- "Hey, do you want a beer? I want to buy you beer"
- "Yes, I really want a cold beer". He said
I tried to look for beer in Boston's China Town. However, I found Root Beer instead. I thought it was some kind of a beer, and I bought one for him. When I gave him, he said:
- "Don't you want some?"
- "sorry, I don't drink beer" I replied.
- "Oh well, at least it is cold. Thank you, young man." He said.
After finishing the beer, I asked him what he wanted to do next? He wanted to continue to find his son. Then we have some small chat and it was dark outside.
- "Oh, now I have to go". I said. "Thank you for the talk. It helps me a lot."
Then, I wished him luck in his journey. I advised him to stop smoking and drinking beer, because all he only had is his health, and he looked appreciate a lot:
- "Thank you, young man. It must be god has sent you to deliver these word to me. Thank you a lot. I will remember these words."
He held my hands, and smiled beautifully. I took him a picture (he wanted to see how he looked)

Everyone has his/her own story. I can see that it is not every homeless people are bad. With a little help, we can help them to change their life. Big result is from small action. We can start with the local homeless center, or donate some food, or anything. There is a project in Downtown Portland that is helping homeless
https://www.tprojects.org/







No comments:

Post a Comment