Pages

Friday, June 12, 2015

Airplanes

I have a great interest in airplanes and this topic came to me when a close friend of mine took me flying in a plane his grandfather owned back in the 80s. I was at first very scared to get into a plane that was functioning in the 80s and trust the pilot with such an old hunk of metal. When I got inside the plane I realized that everything had been upgraded and was new I felt a lot more comfortable in his plane. 

Airplanes may seem way off topic when it comes to Planned Obsolescences but I beg to differ. From what I have learned about airplanes and the use of them over time is that they are some of the longest lasting products created. They have to be built to stand extremely tough conditions, have to be updated navigationally and they cost entirely too much to have such a short lifespan. 

The amount of materials that go into building a plane is mind blowing from the metal exterior shell, wiring, interior, even down to the motor assembly. These parts can be compared to motor vehicles and they compared in lifespans. The lifespan of an airplane is roughly 20-25 years. This may seem crazy and I have even wondered if it is safe to be in an aircraft that is that old. What is comes down to is how the aircraft is updated. Just like software on a tech product, airplanes need to be updated. Navigation systems are regulated by a department similar to the DMV when they check a car’s emissions. Navigation systems need to be updated and motor mechanics need to be serviced every so often and inspected. This process is way more intensive than it is with vehicles. This leads me to believe this is why airplanes last longer than motor vehicles. 

Also the financial investment in a plane is greater than vehicles so one would only assume that they would be more interested in keeping a plane around longer than a vehicle owner or manufacturer would be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment