|Photo Cred: http://www.greenwaylink.com/product-life-cycle|
So now we know about soil contamination and its dangers. It may seem like a soil contamination is a super complex problem, which it is but don't fear! This blog post will be about simple ways we ALL can help reduce soil contamination. Here are 8 quick, easy, and affordable tips to reduce your soil footprint.
- Don't litter! This one is one of the easiest, simply take the extra steps to throw away your garbage or recycle your plastics.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle! Not just at home but also at work and at school. We can do a lot of good with the 3 Rs!
- Buy biodegradable products!
- Store all liquid chemicals you may use for cleaning, painting, or projects in a spill proof container.
- Eat organic foods that are grown without pesticides.
- Don’t use pesticides! If you are growing your garden try to take care of pest the natural way. Pesticides can be absorbed into the soil therein causing it to be contaminated
- Use a drip tray to collect engine oil and motor oil to ensure it does not seep into surrounding soil.
- Buy products with less packaging. This will also help you reduce your waste.Pure Soil, Pure Food, Pure PeopleMaryah JacksonSources:http://www.everythingconnects.org/reduce-soil-pollution.htmlhttp://www.epa.gov/region4/foiapgs/readingroom/rcra_community/urban_gardening_fina_fact_sheet.pdf