Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Global Water Crisis Exists! ASL Video


The Global Water Crisis Exists! 

Water equals life. Without it animals, plants, the entire ecosystem, and people would not exist. Our world is made of 97% salt water, leaving 3% fresh water for over 7.1 billion people. The National Resources Defense Council has recently revealed a study where, "more than 1,100 counties -- one-third of all counties in the lower 48 -- will face higher risks of water shortages by mid-century as the result of global warming. More than 400 of these counties will face extremely high risks of water shortages." In America, we are far from where the majority of people are experiencing the current issues relating to the water crisis. However, we cannot continue to ignore the problem and demand water at unsustainable levels. Water is life and I don't know about you, but I want to live! Do you?

Please visit http://puredrinkablewater.weebly.com to learn about the Global Water Crisis to see what the issues are and what solutions are being discussed.  

PLEASE WATCH THE FOLLOWING VIDEO ABOUT 
THE GLOBAL WATER CRISIS
IN AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE!

Written English translation of the above video by Rose Davis:
Hi, I’m Rose Davis, a Portland State University student. I’m currently involved with a group of students who are researching and locating information regarding the Global Water Crisis. Did you know, water is absolutely necessary for humanity to survive? Water is life. Without water, humanity, our ecosystem, and the animal kingdom would cease to exist. We drink water to live and maintain a healthy body. Without this resource, we would dehydrate and die.
You might be thinking, “Where’s the problem?” The world is covered in water.  I agree. However, 97% of the world is covered in salt water, leaving only 3% fresh water. Since the beginning of time, 3% fresh water has been sufficient until now.  The National Resource Defense Council recently reported by 2050, more than 1,100 countries will be at risk of reduced access to clean water and water shortages due to global warming. And meanwhile, the world’s population is constantly growing rapidly. Currently, we have 7.1 billion people on the planet who are simultaneously depleting our water resources. There is not enough water to go around.
Currently, in 2013, 783 million people are without access to clean water. And everyday, nearly 3,000 children die because of water-related illnesses. The future is in our hands. We can do something about this and get involved to prevent the problem from getting worse. At Portland State University, students are researching and locating information and finding ideas. We are discussing the global water crisis with our communities trying to come up with the best solutions to this issue. Please visit our website: www.puredrinkablewater.weebly.com. Thanks for watching. We hope you will join us to fight the global water crisis. Thank you.
References: 
National Resource Defense Council. (2013). Quote derived from the following website: http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/watersustainability/index.asp on 5/28/13

No comments:

Post a Comment