Finding mold in your home is frustrating but unfortunately it is a very common battle. Most people will grab the bleach and spray away but there are natural ways to combat mold without the harsh chemicals.
Mold can have an impact on your health in many ways, and the severity can very from minimal to severe based on your sensitivity to mold. It can cause stuffiness, coughing, wheezing, eye irritation and even depression. It is important that when you discover mold you not only clean it but also prevent it from coming back.
Tea Tree Oil & Water
- Fill a spray bottle with water and add 15 drops of tea tree oil
- Spray onto the affected area and leave for 2 hours
- A toothbrush or Q-Tip will make getting into the hard to reach areas easier, window and door tracks often are havens for mold.
This cleaner will also work in your tubs and showers!
Ways to Prevent Mold from Developing
- Use your ventilation fans for at least 30 minutes after using the shower
- Ensure your house is at the proper humidity
- Open your windows
- Clean up any water & condensation that has accumulated
- Leave your front loader washing machine door open when not in use
- Stretch your shower curtain out after use to allow it to dry
- Leave the shower door open after use to allow proper air circulation
- Use vinegar to wash dehumidifiers a few times a month