Sunday, June 11, 2017

Gasoline and Petroleum Toxicity in Dogs

The most common petroleum products associated with illness in dogs include motor oil, gasoline, kerosene, propane and diesel. These aren't the biggest poisons for dogs, but it only takes a little to make them sick. Surprisingly, the thin, light products, such as gasoline, are more toxic than the thick, heavy products, such as motor oil. This is because the thinner substances absorb in dogs the fastest.

What to Watch For

Signs of gasoline and petroleum toxicity in dogs may include:
  • Drooling
  • Shaking head
  • Pawing at mouth
  • Coughing, gagging
  • Incoordination
  • Muscle tremors
  • Staggering
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Gasoline or petroleum smell
  • Reddened and irritated skin
  • Cyanosis (blue tinge to tongue and gums)

The amount of oil swallowed by dog to start showing symptoms depends on the type of oil. 
  • For diesel fuel, about 18 mls (a little over 1 tablespoon) needs to be ingested.
  • For gasoline, 35 mls per pound needs to be ingested.
  • For kerosene, 112 mls per pound needs to be ingested.

No comments:

Post a Comment